Okinawan Festival

NISHIHARA CHOJIN KAI
HUOA MEMBER CLUB


Year Started 1938, with 25-30 member families. The club disbanded in 1941 and was reorganized in 1954 at a meeting held in the garage of Taro Shiroma in Kalihi.
Original Officers Seitoku Arakawa, president; Masao Tamanaha, vice president; Ryoki Arakaki, treasurer.
Officers when the club reorganized in 1954 Makaru Goya, president; Kyuzen Kiyabu, vice president; Hideyasu Kohashikawa, secretary; Zenjiro Arakawa, treasurer; Yoshitomo Takushi, auditor.
Past President Makaru Goya (1954-61)
Kyuzen Kiyabu (1961-65)
James Takushi (1965-67)
Tomu Arakawa (1967-69)
Tokujin Tamashiro (1969-71)
Seitoku Tamashiro (1971-73)
Mitsuto Goya (1973-75)
Ted Oshiro (1976-79)
Notes Notes by Ted Oshiro: (1) Many early immigrants from Nishihara-son worked on the plantations in Ewa and Waipahu. The first to arrive in Hawaii was the late Zempan Arakawa, founder of the Arakawa Store in Waipahu, who came in 1905. Among the present club members, six came in 1906: Saburo Kohatsu, Seizo Miyahira, Niwa Tamanaha, Kana Tamanaha, Makaru Goya, and Saburo Tamshiro. (2) In October 1978, during his stopover in Hawaii following a trip to South America, Mayor Kichitaro Miyahira of Nishihara-son, Okinawa, donated $500 to the Nishihara Club. The donation represented, among other things, an appreciation of the postwar aid the club had given to Nishihara-son. At the end of World Warr II, the club had sent tablets, pencils, clocks, books, baseball equipment, and other items to help re-establish the schools in Nishihara-son.
Website Nishihara Town Website

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donate
Banner